Orius Message Board
Please sign in.
Orius Message Board
Please sign in.
Orius Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Go down 
+2
ifer
ChinChillah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ChinChillah

ChinChillah

James Cameron's Avatar Empty
PostSubject: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Anyone else see it? Had I known it was so long I would've went weewee beforehand. Razz

That one scene with the giant bulldozer... Fern Gully much?
Back to top Go down
http://aznpb.deviantart.com/
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Oh man, so good. Sad that I can see us doing that though, minus the heroic save. Sad

Someone seroisly needs to do a "Fireflies" AMV for it.
Back to top Go down
Remzical

Remzical

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 am

Unfortunately few people I know in real life shared my enthusiasm for it. I keep having to remind people that "going native" is a popular theme in both movies and novels, so "Dances With Smurfs" isn't exactly a correct interpretation of the film. Besides, I didn't hear too many people complaining when The Last Samurai came out and whenever I say that now, people just burst out of nowhere to have an excuse to shoot the film down, because it's "cool" to dislike it. I never miss the opportunity to mention that Dances With Wolves was most certainly not the first film to employ the theme AND it had Kevin Costner in it. Two strikes.

Keep in mind I live two blocks away from a college campus in a rinky-dink town settled on the warty asshole of western Kentucky countryside. They think that everything they read in their favorite blog is gospel and cynicism is cruise control for cool.
Back to top Go down
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:00 pm

That sucks. And yeah, a lot of movies have that kind of theme; not just "going native," but "siding with the natives against the invasive humans/white people".

Also, I believe this image sums up the "Fern Gully" comment:
James Cameron's Avatar 1699110
Back to top Go down
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I just called it Pocohontas in Space. Honestly. The 3D version of the movies kicks eight asses though, end of story. Holographic screens felt so real, it almost distracted me. The concept overall had been overdone, but we are in the century of no originality. I stopped looking for things to get creative, and simply let people tell their versions of the same payed out concept.

Hell, even some people compared Orius to Harry Potter.

PS - I killed them when they did.
Back to top Go down
https://orius.forumotion.com
Kane

Kane

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:52 pm

The Director wrote:

Good man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/centervoid
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Kane wrote:
The Director wrote:

Good man.

Its something that had to be done for great justice.
Back to top Go down
Remzical

Remzical

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Obviously people getting pissed over the Avatar "no originality" issue have never seen Lawrence of Arabia.

While I can sympathize with the "century of no originality" mentality, it's not exactly as though the previous centuries were filled with too many eye-opening themes, either. We might as well call Dungeons and Dragons "Lord of the Rings: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game", for crying out loud. Lord of the Rings in turn holds several parallels to Wagner's Volsung Saga, though JRR Tolkien fervently denied it. Most fantasy books and films follow a basic timeline of tropes "convenient orphan has to avenge family" or "disaffected loner must journey to defeat evil for the greater good" and both end up leading to a "chosen one's epiphany" at the end. Stories can also follow a "Through the Looking Glass" motif where they either spend their entire time in another world trying to get home or they in turn "go native" and decide to stay and take up the customs.

If we define works by their themes, yes, the world lacks originality. Every song sounds like another. Every movie of every genre is the same. There will not be a single book worth reading.

But the devil is in the details. Had there not been such extended deforestation, had the inhabitants of Pandora not been so tribal and similar to Native Americans (or any aboriginal inhabitants in any country on the face of the Earth that have had their homelands overrun), and had Jake not gone through some sort of "Might Whitey" metamorphosis, perhaps the parallels would not have been so strong. However, we would have also lost the entire story.

So, in the words of Lady Gaga, music is music, movies are entertainment, and stories are always worth reading, if you look past their covers.

"Just dance."

PS: Harry Potter? I consider it closer to X-Men.
Back to top Go down
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Too true. Besides, it's often not how original or different the story is, but how effectively it is told, from what perspective, and with what emotional investment from the audience.
Back to top Go down
Tenor

Tenor

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 pm

Going to have to go with Rem on this one. Everything of the same type of genre is the same, but the devil is indeed in the details.

But hey, I say let it roll. Everything has a stereotype. But they honestly have little movies (outside Horror genre) where the bad guy wins. Can I see this? Please? (Hell i should write a whole story on it. JUST to say I did it. >/ And if anyone knows of titles, please tell me, I would like to look into it).

But to go with the whole Pocahantus//Avatar comparison, I found another one for you to laugh at:

James Cameron's Avatar Pocahontas-avatar-750x730
Back to top Go down
http://tenor.deviantart.com
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 am

Couple of things didn't quite work - Tsu'Tey doesn't try to kill Jakesully out of jealousy, but out of fear and mistrust; Neytiri risks her life before the Colonol's brought to justice "shot with arrow! yo"; and the two coltures didn't really resolve their differences. Other than that, v. funny.
Back to top Go down
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 5:05 pm

ifer wrote:
Couple of things didn't quite work - Tsu'Tey doesn't try to kill Jakesully out of jealousy, but out of fear and mistrust; Neytiri risks her life before the Colonol's brought to justice "shot with arrow! yo"; and the two coltures didn't really resolve their differences. Other than that, v. funny.

After the tenth similarity the few mistakes were easily disregarded.

I havent seen Pocohantas in years, and its funny just how much is dead on. I find it uber amusing. Oh and Rem, about what you said earlier. If I hadnt been contaminated with so many remakes and reboots in the last five years, my opinion about the movies as of late would not be so condemning. I am afraid it is too late for me. lol I know that every movie that comes out is going to suck ass. With this mentality, a good movie is simply going to go right past me.
Back to top Go down
Remzical

Remzical

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Then read a book. Read a book. Read a motherfucking book.

End Quote.

EDIT: Just throwin' this out there, but Neytiri was a helluva lot better Native American than Pocahontas does. Swan diving off a cliff isn't a big show of your connection with nature. It's stupid.
Back to top Go down
Tenor

Tenor

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Remzical wrote:

End Quote.

EDIT: Just throwin' this out there, but Neytiri was a helluva lot better Native American than Pocahontas does. Swan diving off a cliff isn't a big show of your connection with nature. It's stupid.

Cheers to that, stupid woman. D|

And btw? I love the reference. >]
Back to top Go down
http://tenor.deviantart.com
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Remzical wrote:

End Quote.

Okay true. Neytiri had a goddamn dragon and could kill like spiderman with chainsaw arms. Pocahontas had a klepto raccoon, a rage filled hummingbird, and a tree that sings like a snoring cat.
Back to top Go down
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 pm

And yet she's still several magnitudes better than any of the other Disney princesses (besides Mulan, of course)
Back to top Go down
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:25 am

ifer wrote:
And yet she's still several magnitudes better than any of the other Disney princesses (besides Mulan, of course)

Well yeah. Ariel is a fish, Belle is into bestiality, Jasmine is a terrorist, Snow White is a dumbass, and Cinderella is poor.

One had to slip through the grid. Heh...beastiality....get it?
Back to top Go down
ChinChillah

ChinChillah

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:13 am

Mulan was a man! Very Happy Heh. Well - she technically did better as a man after the whole I'll Make A Man Out of You bit. I just don't understand how no one knew... Either feudal Chinese people were really dumb, the women looked like men so they couldn't tell them apart, or Mulan was really masculine looking... That and Li Shang was actually a homosexual. Hah! I dunno. All speculation.

I don't think Naytiri could pull a Mulan though.
Back to top Go down
http://aznpb.deviantart.com/
The Director
Admin
The Director

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 am

ChinChillah wrote:
Mulan was a man! Very Happy Heh. Well - she technically did better as a man after the whole I'll Make A Man Out of You bit. I just don't understand how no one knew... Either feudal Chinese people were really dumb, the women looked like men so they couldn't tell them apart, or Mulan was really masculine looking... That and Li Shang was actually a homosexual. Hah! I dunno. All speculation.

I don't think Naytiri could pull a Mulan though.

Nope. She was blue. lol!
Back to top Go down
Remzical

Remzical

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Pocahontas was a badass, yeah. And Belle, besides being into creepy gargoyle-manbeasts, couldn't even realize she was in an abusive relationship. Ridiculous!

My favorite princess is Mulan, but I have to give props to Tiana as well, a girl would rather work for her dreams than take the easy way out and marry a prince. (Also, the Shadow man gets me hot and bothered in a way only voodoo can...o.o)

As for ancient Chinese being blind to women? Uh....probably not. Women dressing as men and fighting in the army happened all over the world up even into the Civil War. The poetic epic of Mulan states she was in the army for 12 years and won bravery medals galore. Chances are, they just thought she was really feminine. Just think about emo boys in skinny jeans...
Back to top Go down
ifer

ifer

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Plus, it's not like in today's society where girls wear the same clothes that men do. Clothing styles in the past were very gender-segregated, and you just wouldn't even stop to think "maybe this person's crossdressing". Kinda like how in some third-world countries people identify each other more by their clothing than by their faces (they wear the same thing every day), you just don't develop the thinking processes to recognize them in other garb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orius Message Board :: General Chat :: The Chat Box :: Anime and TV-
Jump to: